Monday, January 30, 2006

Medicine balls have absolutely no bounce

Went to my kick-boxing class today to get in some cross-training. After the shadow-boxing warm-up, we set up a circuit with four minute rounds (4 min on, 1 min rest). First exercise was to throw a 7kg medicine ball with my right hand off the front of my shoulder as if I was throwing a punch, but hard enough to hit the cement wall and bounce back at me to catch in my stomach. Four minutes! Do you realise how little medicine balls bounce? I think my swimming has been helping though, as I used to not be able to do this exercise that long, but today I toughed it out like a good Ironwoman wannabe.

So that was the "start" of the circuit ... then lots of double kicks and great punching combinations for a fantastic anerobic workout! Finished with an exercise that I particularly like called "Impact" where we punch each other in the gut for a few minutes each (with gloves, of course) and aim for the solar plexus and liver where it really hurts.

Ouf, what a great class today ... my hands shook for a half hour afterwards. Wolfed down what seemed like 2000 calories in a high-carb lunch but it's already passed right through me!

Off to swimming ... ta-di-da ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home