Tuesday, February 05, 2008

How to throw a left hook ...

After a two year hiatus, I decided to ignore the fact that my left arm is still weak from the car accident two years ago, and I "went for it" ...

I went back to my martial arts gym and jumped right into an advanced kick-boxing class. It was nice to know that my body has muscle memory and I still had good technique. I should ... I kickboxed for 6 1/2 years before my accident!

Left jab was weak and the left arm tired much quicker than the right of course ... but my hook! It was still pretty well there. This is a fun punch when done correctly, and I just love the rewarding sound of the boxing glove hitting the mitt in that oh-so-precious-way when a solid connection is made followed by a quick snap back ...

This is how to throw a left hook ...


Great class ... It felt like I had come home ... and "home" it was to me for years before my car accident.

Needless to say, after the class, my arms and hands were quivering (much more so the left) as they were no longer used to that kind of exertion. But instead of allowing my muscles to recuperate from this "new" workout ...

I went for a swim right after. 1500 m. It hurt. A lot. And I was really tired ...

I got home and said, "screw typing, screw writing" and figured I'd feel better the next day. Nope. Worse. Almost poked my eye out with the mascara brush since I was still missing fine motor coordination ... And two days later, the soreness was even worse!

Tonight, finally, almost all the lactic acid had disappeared so I went for a swim ... 2000 m. Yay!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home