Sunday, September 16, 2007

I am suffering

Though my headaches due to injuries from last year's car accident are for the most part under control, every once in a while, I get a real doozy migraine, like today's. Not even codeine nor the strong anti-inflammatory Voltaren can touch this level of pain.


I don't know how I got through of months of this kind of pain after the car accident. I kept trying to psyche myself up to run 21km+ for my long slow run today but as the day progressed and the headache worsened, my plans to do any training at all completely fizzled.

Time to go to bed soon ... or at least lie down in the dark where I will hope and pray that the nausea subsides and if I am lucky, very lucky, sleep will finally distract me from this misery.
My left shoulder and neck muscles are super tight (source of my migraine) and my left arm is "sleepy" and heavy ... result of a nerve being compressed by the inflamed muscles. Never had this recurring problem before the accident ... sigh.

So no training today unfortunately, but I'm glad to report that yesterday, inspired by my fresh dedication to Ironman, I threw myself into the pool for a short 1000 m swim of 4 x 250 m sets including some drills. I didn't *feel* I was going fast but kept finding myself frustratingly swimming over everyone. That's what I get for "one-lane" Saturdays.

I would have loved to have swam more but scrumptious food and wine with Mr. Dude up north beckoned. I'm hoping he's going to help me get stronger on the bike next summer as he lives amongst rolling hills, exactly what I will encounter in Louisville, Kentucky. A cyclist friend who used to race is definitely a valuable ally to a wannabe double Ironwoman.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home