Sunday, July 02, 2006

Blow me over kind of wind ...

Dear Stupid Driver,

There are inherent dangers with cycling at night. I'd like you to know that you are one of them.

We are in travelling in opposite directions. I am riding on a main street because it has way better lighting than a bike path at this time of the evening. I have little lights on my bike, front and back, that flash. Do you not see me? Every other driver does.

Please do not think I enjoy sudden braking and having to let out a blood-curdling scream at you when you try to cut me off by turning left into my lane. I am going down a hill and rolling at 40km/h. Contrary to popular belief, bicycles, much like cars, need braking distance.

I do not enjoy the adrenaline rush from a near-accident experience that makes me want to vomit and go home straight afterwards. So please be kind to us cyclists, Mr. Stupid Driver, as I am sure that the sight of our blood all over your car will haunt you forever.

Yours sincerely,

Silly Sally

--------------------------------------------------

So, only a short 1h20min. cycle tonight, about 30k. Really slow. Lots of traffic lights. Rolling hills. Didn't feel safe with the friggin' wind (40 - 60 km/h) and all the bumps in the road - can't see as well at night. Almost got blown off my bike countless times. UGH. The thought crossed my mind to climb Camilien Houde, our little mountain, but I nixed it ... decided it was too dangerous if I were to get blown off my bike. I have this aversion to being smushed by a car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home