Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Wind + Heat + Humidity + New Seat = AGONY!!!

My friend Grommit lent me his old bike seat, well, it actually wasn't too old but his bike got stolen recently. I figured I'd try it because the women's gel seat with hole in middle didn't pan out (too wide for my sit bones - too cushy for my small butt).

How horrible! I hadn't even hit 40k and I knew I was in trouble! The groove in the seat was hitting all the wrong spots and I was dying knowing that I hadn't even gotten halfway through my route! Now my sit bones and every other bone down there rested on the edge of the groove ... And my arms and hands hurt from trying constantly to take some weight of of "there".

To top it off, I couldn't get comfy in my bike jersey - the humidity was so high, all it did was stick. I had three 24oz. bottles with me but could have filled up again. I thought it was supposed to rain but Mr. Sun came out - yeah, after I decided to wear my clear goggles, afraid of the dark menacing clouds.

Throw in lots of cross and head wind, and you get a clear picture of the hard ride I had. It was such a relief when I got a minute or so of wind pushing me from behind, but that was on the rare occasion.

OOOF!! 93 km done. I was so so so soooooo happy to get home. It was a much harder ride than that 100 km I did a week ago where I felt I could have gone on longer if it were not for the time factor.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Snark said...

Hi, just wanted to say I'm enjoying your blog and find it very inspiring. I'm going from the couch to a Sprint Tri, so I'm awed by the idea of an IM. Keep up the good work!

9:36 p.m.  
Blogger Silly Sally said...

That is amazing that you are doing that! I have a friend that went from couch to IM in four years ... now that's inspiring! I never thought I'd be doing an IM ... um, well, I haven't yet ;-)

1:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home