Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Pool Boy needs a pull-buoy

I don't often gripe about things that happen in the pool, but I feel the need today.

Paraphrased conversation between arrogant man in pool and myself at end of fast lane:

Pool Boy: Excuse me, you should let me pass.

Silly Sally: Oh, sorry, I didn't know you wanted to pass.

Pool Boy: I think you should go down a level, you swim slowly. I've tried to pass twice but you won't let me.

Silly Sally: Well, I didn't even know you were behind me - I didn't see you either time. No, I'm not going down a level - they don't like when I swim there because all I do is pass and they kick me out. I may swim slowly but I've had to pass people in this lane nonetheless and I haven't had any problems. Maybe I swim slower than you but you've got a pull-buoy helping you float and you're also swimming in my draft, which reduces your effort considerably since I'm breaking the wall of water. I make a point of swimming close to the cord so that people can pass since I know I'm not the fastest one in the pool. You should just go around me.

Pool Boy: Well, I tried to pass but I hurt someone. You should be watching behind you just in case someone wants to pass.

... and on and on for another few wasted minutes until the life guard came over and explained the concept of sharing a lane which I had tried to explain to him.

Yeah, right ... good one, Mr. Pool Boy ... break my form, ruin my technique, just to "watch" when you might want to pass me. I've never heard of any sport where participants watch behind them just in case someone wants to pass and they have to make room. Anyway, what was I supposed to do, Mr. Pool Boy, to "let you pass"? I couldn't have shimmied up any closer to the lane cord than I already was.

I have no tolerance for this type of attitude.

Mr. Pool Boy took off at one point without his pull-buoy while I was still talking with the life guard to show me he can swim fast without it, as per his declaration. Great to know he can do a few laps at that pace - my life has meaning now. I took off afterwards to continue my sets, a little ticked off that I had lost precious training time. Did another 24 laps or so before taking a 20 sec. break - yup, I was pissed off.

Noticed Mr. Pool Boy hanging out several times at the end of the lane. Well, he didn't try passing me again or rather, I didn't check to see. Personally, I'd rather just think he couldn't keep up with the distance ...

I ran out of time ... pool closed. Could only squeeze in 2200 m or 88 laps. Was supposed to swim 2600. Drat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home