Thursday, January 19, 2006

Double Whammy!

Woke up entirely startled in my very dark room at 6:11 a.m. to my alarm clock ringing. It almost gave me a panic attack since I couldn't figure out why it was ringing so early ... What day was it? Was it a school day or weekend? Did I have to get the kids to school? No, they're with their father this week. Did I have to go to a shoot somewhere? Yeah, I wish. And then it dawned on me and I remembered. I had a date with Mr. Pool and my tri club. Argh - I had to be there for 7am. I downed my tea and ate a croissant quickly, packed my swimsuit and towel, and get this ... got dressed in my running gear. It had snowed overnight giving some traction to the other day's ice. Cool!

Out the door I went! A very excited camper! Got to the pool just as the warm-up was starting. Then countless laps of drills, and I was happy to learn a thing or two. We had about 15 min. left and Eric, my coach, told us to do 2 x 500m front crawl, and I said, "Excuse me, how many laps is that?" 'cause I was sure I didn't hear him correctly. He said 2 x 20 laps ... (I thought about this ... alright, hmm ...) I told him I didn't think I could do 40 laps in 15 min. He said it should only take 6-7 min. to do 20 laps. (Yeah, right ...) So I did what I could. I must have done at least 20 laps, but lost count and then cooled down with another 12 laps of breast and back crawl.

Chatted with the life guards, tri club members also, about technique and then there I was, off again to try some of their advice out. Good stuff! I'm finally starting to feel like a real swimmer! I got changed quickly afterwards and ran back home, happy like a cat in the sun.

Run = 6k
Swim = 1.5 hours

I told myself that I would try to run to the pool from now instead of driving. Mind you, it felt a little strange in the pool right after the run, and then again at the start of the run after the pool, but all in all, quite do-able and refreshing, and the strangeness went away quickly.

Let's see if I can do it again tomorrow morning, and just for that, I will try to get a little more sleep!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

go sally !!!

5:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home