Saturday, January 14, 2006

It was going great until ...

It's just amazing what 10 hours sleep will do for someone. Would have slept longer but I eventually had to feed the kids. There are only so many cartoons they can watch in the morning but they were happy because they were television-starved and I was sleep-starved. Pretty even trade, I'd say!

We went to the pool this afternoon. It's so funny ... I wanted to go earlier when all the pool toys are out, buoys, floaters, etc. ... but my kids actually griped to me about how they'd rather go later when the toys aren't out. They said that there are too many people and the toys take up too much space ... they want to be able to swim in a straight line. Good, good .. I might have the souls of some real swimmers developing here ...

Yup, so we get to the pool, the kids are playing, and I do my warm-up of 8 laps breast stroke, nice and easy. Then I decide no drills today, and thought how it would be neat to just keep on swimming one day until I have to get out (flashback to Hawaii and swimming "forever" in the ocean). I decided I would start out two laps front crawl and give myself a chance to recuperate with one lap of breast stroke. I did a bunch of those then decided "10", I would do 10 sets of these to make 30 continuous laps. It's one thing doing them all breast stroke, since I've already swam more than that distance before, quite another to include all that front crawl. I concentrated hard on my efficiency ... where the elbows go, how to breathe on the side, entry of the hand in the water, the follow-through right down to the hip, not kicking too quickly ... I was soooo happy, there I was gliding almost like a fish and not gasping desperately for air. I had found a rhythm!! "7" ... Wow! I thought as I started an eighth set and did a lap of front crawl to the end of the pool. And that's when things went sadly wrong ...

The lifeguards decided to close the pool!! Problem with the chlorine, and with so many people in the pool that day, they were finding it difficult to see to the bottom of the 12 ft. pool. DRAT!! I was on a ROLL!!!

So I ended up finishing with 30 laps in 23 min. Short but sweet and I even got a bonus with my workout today ... One of the women I chat with who works at the pool wants to train with me since we get along so well. Turns out that she used to lifeguard, and even better, teach! She can give me pointers, and hopefully, I can hire her to give my kids private lessons! Woohoo!

Oops, I just realised the time ... have a late night tryst with Mr. SB tonight. We're going to watch CSI together!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home