Thursday, January 12, 2006

Utter exhaustion

How far can a person push themselves? I ask myself that since I am presently subsisting on four hours sleep a night, sometimes less. My alarm rang at 6:30am. I had gone to sleep at 4:30am after working on my fund-raiser and website a bit more. I contemplated for 30 seconds if I should really go to my tri club swim. I turned off my alarm, shut my eyes and said, "Don't be stupid, Bonnie." I am looking forward for this "crunch period" to be over and things to be more manageable. Slept until 8:30am and then got up and ready for a 9am meeting with another event planner to help her out with one of her events. Now I'm off for a meeting with one of my sponsors followed by an afternoon appointment.

Big question now is, do I take a complete day off from training, or do I slip myself into the pool again to work technique. Ideally, I should get a short run in there too ... Is this just a simple question or has it become a dilemma?

How does one juggle training, work and single motherhood? And grocery shopping too? My basket of clean laundry sits in the living room waiting to be folded. At what point is missing workouts and getting some more
S-L-E-E-P more essential? I remember once, when training for a certain marathon, working all day then doing an 18k run then picking up the kids, followed by the evening ritual of supper and homework. And this after only 3 hours sleep. Mind you, I remember once running a marathon after only 2 1/2 hours sleep.

How much is the body's actual ability to push and how much is it the mind controlling it? We endurance athletes know the answer ...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking about utter exhaustion.... I found your link to the Julie Moss finish [half way down the page on the left] at whatever IM it was...... amazing! However had this been an ultra event the other runner, Cathy whatever would probably have helped her fallen comrade to her feet and and allowed her win.... there's no money in ultras I guess... plenty of soul but no money....

5:31 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the old gal again..its 9:15, still in my work cloths, took a break from loading the dishwasher to peek in on how you are doing...I understand what you are up against and I'm not training for a tri. I went for a run tonight and it was great but then I walk in late to laundry, leftovers, lunches for tomorrow..sigh.

Working full time (day, house, kid, pets, etc..I can't wrap my head around that kind of training...hang in there, rooting for ya.

Glad to see the neck is better, I had mine looked after too ...back to swimming tomorrow..

9:19 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sleepless Sally,

Remember in a tri there are 5 events that will get you to the finish line. Swimming, Biking, running, diet and rest. All have to be considered equally in an event that will take more hours then you have ever done before.

Just my 2 and 3/4 cents

Roly

9:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home