Monday, April 16, 2007

I chose the wrong food for supper

Ottawa Marathon Training Summary - Week #2

Mileage planned: 34 km
Actual mileage ran: 38 km

Alright, perhaps this was "cheating a bit" since I ran Saturday to make up for last Sunday's missed long run. But of course, week #3's mileage might be short ... ugh. I'm sooo bad at keeping to a schedule ...

Mileage increase from last week's 11km: 245.5%!!

Ideally, a running program should not increase in mileage by more than 10% to avoid injury. Meaning, I should have limited my running to 12.1 km total this week. I figure though if I follow this rule, I'd just avoid running, nevermind injury, and that would defeat the purpose of my mrathon training program.

Sunday was a day off from training. I just swing danced a lot. Fun ... yay! Try it sometime.

Today, I thought about running, but with high winds of 50-70 km and sloshy melting snow from last night's 10 cm dump, combined with sore legs from Saturday's run ... well, this meant only one thing ... Hit the pool!

And so I did, but only after I threw in a frozen chicken pot pie from St-Hubert's BBQ. Quick easy food for supper! I had one hour to get to the pool, swim, and get back home so I could take the pie out of the oven.



I swam 74 laps in 35 min. Not bad. 1850 yards or 1692 m. (This was not a metric pool ... one lap = 25 yds.) I think I must be getting faster since this included a few stops to let the faster swimmers go by. I don't normally swim this quickly but a burnt chicken pot pie was the alternative.

I was soooo happy to wolf down this easy and delicious supper after the short intense swim until I read this:


Like, who in the world eats only one eighth of a chicken pot pie? I'm not a 2-year old anymore! How about 4/8ths of a pie, or more precisely, one huge honking half of a pie. Sheesh! So much for watching the waistline. I just downed 880 calories and 60% of the recommended maximum daily intake of fat. And for sure, I consumed enough sodium for a long run tomorrow, in fact, I consumed enough sodium for ALL of my runs this week.

I should have eaten slower and allowed my brain that 20 min. necessary to tell my body that it was already full.

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/style.htm

http://health.howstuffworks.com/eat-slower.htm

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home