Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I think I'm gonna be alright ... maybe ...

I hurt my neck yesterday and have since been sucking back Robaxacets like candy. Thing is, now I've run out and haven't had a chance to hit the pharmacy. It still hurts a lot. I think the next move is codeine. Ironic thing is, I didn't even hurt myself training, I hurt myself checking out tiny batteries in one of my kids' toys. I couldn't get the casing open and had to hold quite still while forcing it open, and when the casing finally decided to pop open, my stiff little neck made a "ggkk" sound and I knew I was in trouble. Now something is misaligned and all my neck and upper shoulder muscles are tight. I suppose my swimming last night only served to exacerbate my condition. Or maybe it was my saviour and if I hadn't kept my muscles moving, I'd be worse off than now ...

Tonight's spin class was probably not the best idea either 'cause I had to hold my head up in that bent-over position. First ever spin class for me in my entire life. I've heard about how wonderful it is and how it gets you in such good condition. Where was the loud music I expected? Eric, the tri coach, talked through it all about what to expect for the season. I couldn't hear much through the whir of the machines. We warmed up for about 20 min. or so at 80-85rpm, then increased to 90. Then we did a series of 30sec sprints. We were told to increase the resistance and we cycled some more. We did some 30sec intervals where we had to increase the resistance a lot, both seated and standing, then back to the previous resistance and keeping at 90. It was hard keeping the rpm so low. I'm used to spinning much faster, like 110, and found myself doing so at one point. Guess all those hours I put on my bike oh so long ago will start paying off soon. I think I'll be fine for the ride portion of the Ironman, that is if I'll be able to get used to the saddle.

Grommit: You will be happy to know I got some rest today. My body couldn't tough it any longer (been a little ill with a weird stomach virus recently, anyone else get this?) and decided to take a nap. It was supposed to be a half hour but I overslept by two hours. Oh well, missed my swimming, but I've been told that recuperating properly is essential to Ironman training.

Talked to David today and was happy to find out that he felt tired after Sunday's run and actually ended up napping for two hours. Guess the thrill of running through the wintery woods and the endorphins wore off. I'm glad to find out he's not SuperAthlete after all ... whew! He's human!

Talked to my trainer, Dirk, today as well. He told me he's still working on my 28-week program and I will be officially starting at the end of the month. He'll be coming to Montreal for business at one point hopefully soon. Alright, show of hands ... who wants to meet him? I'll organize a get-together ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home