Friday, July 25, 2008

SLACKER!!

One really fun thing about triathlon training is the variety of different disciplines. It's actually quite fun since one always has to mix it up so it never really gets monotonous.

One really not so fun thing about triathlon training is the variety of different disciplines. What? Why go running when I can go cycling? Running's gotten so much more difficult since I've cut down mileage. And why go cycling on that pissy rainy day when I can go swimming? And why do swim drills when I can do leisurely concentrate-on-the-glide laps in the pool? Yes, I suppose I'm getting wet in the pool too, but at least I'm not miserably cold and being pelted by torrential rain.

Alright, I admit I haven't been paying any attention to my training program. It's not like I slack off everyday but I think I've become the Queen of Inconsistency. I have been good though when escaping to cottage country (thank you friends!) to ride killer hills at 9-12% grades and to swim across lakes. In fact, the return to urban training has been quite harsh and boring :-( And somehow too, reading, relaxing, and seeing old friends has been quite the distraction.

Sigh ... There is something in my artist soul that has rebelled against the "have-t0-do" emphasis of Ironman training. Maybe I've put too much pressure on myself throughout the years on racing ... even last year, when I was training haphazardly, I still pumped out two marathons.

Wait, I think I'm starting to see a pattern now ... Hmmm ... Guerilla training tactics.

Turtleboy is always amazed that I'm able to complete my races. He calls my training tactics, "The most for the least." Like, why train? How little can be done to finish and get the same medal as those who have logged the miles and put in the dedicated hours?

I had a dream once where I met up with some friends in a diner. They were talking about doing their first marathon and were considering running in Finland, which would set them back at least $2500 each.

Silly Sally: Wow, why run so far away? There are lots of races close by that won't cost nearly as much.

Friend: Yeah, you're right ... there's actually a race here tomorrow.

Silly Sally: Oh, really? Cool!

Friend: It's an Ironman and I've already signed you up. I thought you might be interested.

Silly Sally: Umm ... Alright.

Then I, in this dream, with absolutely no training and totally unprepared mentally and physically, completed an Ironman. I remember running down the narrow finishing chute lined with metal rails, and just like that, with absolutely no big hoo ha, I crossed the finish line. I looked at the time.

15:03

Cripes! Not bad for no training! I thought, "My last Ironman was 14:46:19. I'm only 17 minutes off that time ... was all that training two years ago worth it?" I continued watching the other athletes come in and thought, "Hey, I'm feeling pretty good. That wasn't so hard."

But somehow, I don't think Ironman Louisville will be as forgiving. I've already accepted that I will be doing this one on blood and guts.

Hey, I don't remember having received a finisher's medal ... dang, gypped by a dream ;-)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home