Monday, March 06, 2006

Did the man say I couldn't snowboard?

Shhhh ... don't tell C, my physiotherapist, but I just couldn't resist! Sun was shining, mild outside, not much wind ... it's March Break with the kiddies! Anyway, it's been too long since I've actually used my legs, and I made sure to go real easy and not fall. Of course, snowboarding is not the same workout as other leg sports (miss that dang running!) but I still could feel it in my quads. I had some tightness in the shoulder and neck (duh!) but quasi-alleviated that with some Robaxacet Platine which is regularly stocked in my medicine cabinet ... Ugh, that is probably not a good sign.

Got a little massage from my son Gustav's little magic hands tonight. He worked on getting some of the crunchy bits out of my neck and back. What a sweetie. He knows that I was lucky and could have been more seriously injured, i.e. break my neck and be paralysed, his reaction to which was throwing his arms around me and saying, "Oh mummy, you wouldn't be able to snowboard with us!" Had a great chat with my mom last night. I remember massaging my mother's back and she told me that she used to massage her mother's back too! I will have to write all my mother's stories down one day ...

Headache gone for most of day today ... I'm getting there ... yay :-) Can you tell I'm anxious to restart training?

I don't think the kids and I will be heading to Toronto this week after all unfortunately. Thursday and Friday call for rain and snow, and there is still part of me that has the heebie-jeebies about long-distance driving. It's one thing to go an hour ... quite another to go six. I don't know if my back and neck could tough it either and I could never forgive myself if something happened with the children in the car. I guess it's normal that I don't feel "ready" yet. Yes, I still have flashbacks, yes, it's still difficult. Yes, I still have lots of healing to do.

Update on my mother: she had her chemo a few weeks back and is now being tested regularly for how her body is reacting before she goes through another bout. Besides not having any appetite, she had sores in her mouth which really worried me as she could not eat. Now that's finally getting better but she has already lost 10 lbs. She's still in a lot of pain, is extremely tired and there are better days than others but I think one of the hardest things for her and for other cancer sufferers is losing their hair. Knowing you will lose your hair is completely different than when you actually do ... It is such a significant occurrence and so evidently marks the reality of the battle against cancer ...

My mother is such a "mother" :-) She's been trying to take care of me long-distance over the phone, worried about how I am healing and how I am getting along after the accident. But what I want so much to do is take her in my arms, hold her and kiss her forehead and tell her that everything is going to be alright ...

Please say a prayer for her. I love love love her so very very very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home