Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I am a walking pharmacy

I don't know what was worse last night and through the night too, the insomnia or the headache. As I was pondering this as I lay in bed this morning, the phone rang and it was my trainer Dirk, checking up on me. Told me not to train today and not just today, but the rest of the week (geez, can't keep anything secret with this blog!)

Anyway, feeling considerably tired this morning, I spent almost all of it on the phone trying to figure out car stuff, car insurance settlement, new car insurance, appointments with doctors, physio, health insurance ... blah blah blah. Not a way to spend a headachey morning.

Ran off in the afternoon to deal with transfer of ownership of my total loss to my insurance company. I had the Parking Goddess on my side today. By the time I made it downtown, it was already mid-afternoon. There she was, right where I needed it, a parking spot. And I didn't even have to pay for it since the parked cars were misaligned and my rental car fit into that little empty space. Cool.

Went and picked up the paper work. Got a little lost getting to the license bureau but made it there, and lo and behold! Parking spot right where I needed it again, and with lots of time left on the meter. I walked over to the office and then it suddenly hit me - an epiphany ... "I'm going to change my life!" And *bing!*, I decided that even though I am in lots of pain and don't know what's going to happen with me and financially, things could be better (total loss of car and not being able to work because of pain will do that to you folks), I decided that I was just going to *make* things better myself. First of all, I thought about how I will meditate to help alleviate some of the pain. I used to meditate lots at different points in my life for various reasons, including pain management.

I got to the license bureau and took a number, #24. The counter was at #11. I sat down and barely had enough time to make a few calls before they called my number! I don't think I waited more than 10-15 minutes! This is usually an hour wait, folks!

Then I went up to the counter and started telling the young woman why I was there, transfer of ownership, blah, blah, blah, real business-like and taking out my documents, totally distracted by my desire to just get through all the car red tape, and then I heard a really friendly "Ça va bien?" I looked up and saw the warmest sincerest smile and instantly felt incredibly rude. I apologized and said hello. The woman and I proceeded with why I was there, and realising that I had had an accident, asked me how I was, and I really felt that she cared ... So I told her I wasn't feeling too well and gave her the details of my accident. Then she told me that she too had been in an accident, but was luckily not hurt at all. Her compassion and gentleness were soothing to my accident-frayed emotional and physical self. I gave her my blog address, and though I didn't get her name, which I regret, I hope she is reading this:

"Thank you for today, for brightening it with your inner beauty and kindness, with your smiling brilliant eyes and your delicate pretty face. :-)"

It sure made the epiphany moment even more wonderful!

Anyway, I then drove back to Complexe Desjardins and was just about to pass where I had parked previously, and wow! The car that had taken my parking spot when I left pulled out, so I took it back. Had to put in 50 cents in the meter this time, but heck, I was going to make it back to the insurance office before they closed to pick up my settlement cheque. Yay!

So, next stop ... the pharmacy where my doctor called in a prescription. I was thinking as I was driving, "I'd like to find parking at the top of this street by Mont-Royal 'cause that would be right by the bank and the pharmacy," and then I see a car pull out and there again the Parking Goddess shows me her generosity. Uber-cool.

It has been a good omen day.

I get to the pharmacy, get my drugs, and drive towards the car rental place, stop for a fill-up, and make it just in time. The clerk gives me an invoice that will get covered by the insurance company and I read "12 days" at the top. I can't believe it has already been that many days, and in fact, it's actually 13 since the accident. Wow.

Alright, I do as Dirk tells me to do tonight, sit and rest my head, relax and watch some television (horrible programming tonight!) I count how many medications have gone through my body today, all to help deal with pain ... 6 or 7 different ones, lost count ... oops. Don't worry, certain ones I'm allowed to take at the same time, and others I waited the appropriate time frame to try another type. I certainly won't overdose and in fact, can't stand taking this much medication. And the worse part of taking all these pills is that the pain is still there, just the edge is dulled so I can function and take care of "stuff".


Tomorrow, I get my car! And she'll get some edge once the roof racks and snowboards are added ... Can't wait until the kids see her ... :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning B, hang in there, listen to Dirk. Your parking tidbits reminded me of my dad, made me smile. Tuesday night programming is the pits btw. Car is just great, nice choice. Df

5:44 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home