Thursday, August 07, 2008

Sandpaper shorts from HELL

One thing I'm usually quite good at is keeping up with laundry and I'm not talking about my regular day clothes, I'm talking about my training clothes. 'Cause face it folks, that's all that really matters, right?

So, though I am usually quite organized, my typical full-plate of life has had some extra servings heaped onto it due to travelling out of the city on weekends. Good for training. Not good for keeping track of clean training clothes, as I found out one day recently when I wanted to do a short 40k ride.

Looking through my partially filled overnight bag that I hadn't yet had time to unpack, I quickly realised that I'd used both of my bike shorts. Yes, I know I should have more than two pairs of shorts but my Louis Garneau shorts, which date back 15 years, are super comfy and still hold their shape. Besides, the super thin padding is perfect for doing tris and is really all I need. I've tried out other bike shorts with the big diaper padding, but nah, there's nothing like "tried and true" shorts. Eventually, I suppose my favourite shorts will fall apart, and on that day, I will shed some tears and go to the local bike store to wearily buy another pair or two.

Why wearily?

Because I DO have another pair of tri shorts. In fact, as a member of Team Diabetes in 2006, I was given a team uniform made by Sugoi ... and those were the most uncomfortable pair of shorts I've ever worn in my entire life. They've basically been relegated to serving as swim trunks for my male friends when I can convince them to go off for an impromptu dip in the pool with me.

So on this particular day, after strewing the remainder of the contents of my overnight bag all over the floor, I walked with trepidation over to my dresser and hesitantly pulled out my Sugoi Team Diabetes tri shorts from my training clothes drawer.

I weighed the options:

1) Don't bike.
2) Bike and hurt.

Hmmm ... My mind whirred quickly as I pondered ... My desire to cycle was too intense. Heck, I wasn't going far ... what damage could this pair of shorts do to me over a measly 40km?

A few kilometres into my ride, I regretted my decision. I can't believe I had consciously chosen to wear the Sandpaper Shorts from HELL!!!"

So, evidently, my ride was not enjoyable in the least and I fidgeted like a madwoman the entire distance, shouting expletives in my mind ... On the brighter side, finishing an Ironman is about training one's mental ability to endure, and for that, perhaps I sould be thankful (yeah, right).

So am I ready to handle the 180km cycling distance required during the Ironman?

NO WAY!!

I still haven't done a metric century ride, and in fact, haven't even ridden to the 100km mark. I have though set a new record for cycling speed ... a whopping 79.5 km/h!! I had recently done some riding up north on some 12-18% grades. Hell to climb but what goes up, must come down! Woohoo!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home