Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Backtrack to 2006 ...

Here are some pics I dug up ...

Ironman Canada Post-Race Celebration

Sean, me and MC - We are Ironmen!
MC and me

KillerChops and me

Dorothy Buder, aka Sister Madonna, and me


Sister Madonna. This woman is a living legend, a professional athlete and I am enthralled that I got to meet her. She did her first race when she was 49 in hand-me-down tennis sneakers, then years later qualified for the Boston marathon.

She was the first 75-year old woman to complete an Ironman distance race. Her time was 16:46:30. And a few years ago, in another Ironman race, she shattered her own world record at 14:27:14. Heck, she far beat my time!

To date, Sister Madonna Buder has competed in 37 marathons, 300 triathlons and 31 Ironman Triathlons, all after the age of 50.

By the way, yes, she is a nun.

"I see the finish line as symbolic for the Pearly Gates. You want to get there, and you want to know you have given all you have to give when you arrive," she said.

http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=1545

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2006/09/15/ReligionFaith/Sister.Madonna.Triathlon.Nun.Keeps.On.Running-2278743.shtml?norewrite200701090639&sourcedomain=www.gonzagabulletin.com

There are two video clips on this website that you MUST check out!
http://www.king5.com/sharedcontent/northwest/nwbackroads/stories/NW_BR188extremenuns_ironnun.30136335.html

New York Marathon - JG and me!

I ran into a fellow Team Diabetes member from the East Coast. Cool, she snapped a pic of me from the back as I passed her later in the race.

By the way, the hoop earrings and make-up go with the cape. Nothing like putting on bright red lipstick while waiting in line for the buses to take me away to the start line on Staten Island. The New York Marathon wasn't about the Time, it was about the Experience. Have to go all the way, you know, baby!

Thanks Jen for your company and your smile! Here's a pic of us post-finish, just "chillin".



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home