Thursday, September 28, 2006

Back on the mountain

Sunday

Met up with some Montreal Coolrunners at 10am at the monument. Beautiful day, warm but a little humid. Time for a friendly group run ... and time for me to try to get back into a routine. There were six of us - Kneejerk, Roly, Mr. Lambchops, Steph, JoeBoxter and me. The deal was to run to the chalet and circle the path around the cross. I quickly got left in the dust because of my wretched lack of training but the kind Roly kept me company. I told him to run ahead when we got to the chalet and opted for the lazy 8k version of our Mount Royal run instead of the planned 11k one, which everyone else did excpt for Steph who beat us all as he whipped out an extra loop at the top to make his route 13k.

I did something to me knee a few weeks back and it still has a painful twinge - remnants of a recurrent running injury I have not seen for over a year. Hope it goes away. I took advantage of my little break to relax my cardio-fatigued heart and do some stretches. Break over ... I joined back up with the gang and was "forced" to run down faster than my legs wanted to just to have some company. Ugh ... Little did my friends know I was a-hurtin' a bit lest they think that I'm Wimpwoman and not the Ironwoman they've grown to love ... he he he ...

Chops confessed to me that he and Mars, another runner, weren't sure that I would even complete the Ironman race, thought I might not make the swim cut-off or get into trouble because of my weak swimming abilities ... he he he ... I proved them wrong and blew them both out of the water ... AND ME TOO!

How the heck was I ever able to do what I did and become an Ironwoman ?!?! I am presently Slothwoman and ever so proud of it. (I say this as I stroke my growing belly - boy, I love to eat.)

Thursday, ahem, today

No other training news at all this week unless swing dancing Monday and Tuesday nights count. And last night, TB and I did some walking and shopping downtown. Does that count? Oh it's just way too easy to lead a sedentary lifestyle ...

I should actually be training for the NYC marathon but it's SO hard to get back into training ... I need some encouragement folks ... Someone please come kick my butt!!! Quickly!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly Girl,

ussoccer here from CRMS... Do you want NYC? Do you? Think about it.

After doing what you have done, training for and FINISHING an Ironman (You are an Ironwoman!) it's totally normal to not want to train. So that's where you have to find out if you really want this thing.

If the answer is yes, then refocus right now. Not tomorrow. Not on Monday. Do it NOW! Set your alarm clock and start the process of training for your next goal. Get up in the morning and go for a run. Not long. Just get out there. Even if for 2 miles. Within short time your fitness will come out of hiding, because that's all it has done. Don't think for a second it has disappeared. It has not. It can not. It is there, resting, waiting to either dissipate or re-engage.

Decide which it will be. Then set the plan in motion. Work on getting psyched, getting motivated. Enlist others to pull you out of the not wanting to run mode.

Set a Goal. Make it Happen! Nothing more to it.

Only this one will require more work -- more work on the pyschological side.

Do it. How good did you feel proving to yourself Nothing is Impossible?

Thought so. So if you want this, do it again!

8:57 p.m.  
Blogger Silly Sally said...

Ussoccer:
Do you think I would be able to run this next marathon without any real training? How about just slipping in a few long runs to get the fitness level back? :-)
- Sally

5:11 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES, I do think you can still run this marathon. You can indeed get back a good bulk of your fitness, for truth is it is still there; it's just that it is in hiding and will not come out very quickly. But if you call on it by getting back to running regularly, even if that means 3 times per week, and toss in a few long runs and keep expectations for the race in check (I like the idea of toting a camera, which forces expectations to succumb to having fun!), then I think you'll be okay. It wont be easy. But you'll be okay. Mile 20 to 26 will be nothing worse than Ironman. The beauty is that now you know, as long as you address pacing, hydration, and nutrition, that you'll go through a phase or two of pain, whereas if you had never done Ironman you may think that feeling at mile 23 is a feeling that will only get worse. Address the thress priorities listed above and you'll plow right through it. Just be smart.

9:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home