Sunday, August 27, 2006

AAAAAAGGGHHH !!!

I can't believe it's the night before the race. I can't believe the TIME has finally come. I'm nervous but in a strange sense, I'm not nervous. Probably more in denial and disbelief than anything, making this whole experience just a little too surreal.

Day One
I arrived in Kelowna Thursday morning. Got 20 min. sleep before I had to get up and go to the airport. I was supposed to have a rental car ready when I arrived, but lo and behold, as Murphy's Law dictates, it wasn't ready. So no car, but that was alright since I had to wait for KillerChops' flight to come in. And when he arrived, there was still no car. Ho hum.

Finally got to Penticton later that afternoon in a nifty Mazda 3. They gave me first choice when a whole slew of cars finally arrived. Found out later that my bike wouldn't be arriving until Friday, a day later than I planned. Seems that they delayed it's delivery a day in Toronto. Hello courier service, what is there not to understand about "guaranteed service"?

So, first day was just about getting settled in and trying to catch up on the lack of sleep the night before. Oh yes, maybe about picking up some really cool IM souvenir stuff, but I'll show that all to TurtleBoy and co. later :-)

Day Two
Bike arrived after breakfast, cause I made sure it would the day before - grrrr ... just kidding. Met up with P. from Miami, whom Dirk also trains and we went for a swim together. Waves were 2 feet high in some places and crowned with whitecaps. Yay. Good thing that KC had taken me out to Lake Carmine the weekend before. I was ready for this.





Water was cool but nicely refreshing and the waves tossed me around a bit, but unlike Carmine, the waves, though big, had a rhythm to it and I was able to get into a groove. Water was amazingly clear and it was nice to have something to look at when my face was in the water. After the swim, I went to register for the race.


For anyone who plans to do IMC, there's a bike guy from Toronto who transports bikes, Aubrey, who will put your bike together for you and anything else technical for a good deal. Nice smile, great service, quick too. You'll find him at Hotel Carmi.

Quick lunch then off for a tour of the bike course with KC and P. from Miami. We took a short break around Okanagan Falls after Lake Skaha and munched down some really ripe and juicy peaches. Yummy. We continued on our way but ended up at the U.S. border. Not good. Turned around then went back the way we came towards Hwy. 3 as indicated on the map. Went through Osoyoos and then started climbing up some mountain pass - the infamous Richter's Pass? I thought that this 11 km climb was not supposed to be more than a 6% grade.


The climb went on for at least 50 km and some hairpin turns before we realised that something was very wrong with this picture, besides us sh*tting in our drawers. P. got out for directions. Seems that we turned the wrong way on #3. Alright, just a wee little hour plus detour before we got back to the IMC bike route.

When we finally saw the two major climb's, Richter's Pass and Yellow Lake, we were RELIEVED !! So happy that what we originally thought was the bike route was not the bike route but just a wrong turn and a bad dream. KC told me later on that he really felt for us but kept quiet to not discourage us. All P. and I could say was WHEW !!

We got back into Penticton late and I went for a quick 20 min. run. Needless to say, we missed the pasta supper. Arrived just as people were all walking out. Alright, back-up plan. Thai with KC. P. retired to his room.

Great food, horrible service. Not given water nor utensils, had to ask again for tea since they'd forgotten. Starter soup took over a half hour and I had to ask about it twice. The noodles that arrived weren't the ones I ordered but the ditsy just-out-of-adolescence waitress told me that they'd taste the same. I'd like to send her a box of cookie crumbs one day.

After supper, came back to the hotel. I lay on my bed for a second and was out like a light, fully dressed. I guess it had been a long day.

Day Three
Got my transition bags ready. Went out for a short 45 min. cycle. I plan to take it easy tomorrow on the race course. Checked in my bags and bike and checked out the transition area and flow of traffic. Participated in the "Athlete's Parade" which was kinda cool, but also kinda embarrassing (yes, I do get embarrassed from time to time). Ran into an acquaintance athlete from Team in Training who was running with Cops for Cancer. We had been part of TNT doing Run Barbados in 2003. It's a small world.

Had an amazing supper at some Japanese restaurant called Ginsu. Service was the opposite of the night before because the food came out faster than we could eat it, but that was alright since we didn't have time to eat lunch today.

Took a stroll on the waterfront and enjoyed a Japanese garden ... kinda went with the meal, huh?. N-i-c-e ...


Finished off the evening with some pineapple sundaes at Dairy Queen. Yummy ... Now it's time for bed ... Night folks, and wish me God speed for tomorrow ...

I'm thinking of you mummy, and I love you very much. Good night, Toulouse and Gustav. You'll be excited when mommy brings home another medal ... hugs and kisses ... xoxo

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

where's dem pictures?

6:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home