Monday, October 15, 2001

Toronto International Marathon - October 14, 2001

Just wanted to let you know about my last race ... rain, rain, rain ... Nonetheless, I had a marvelous time (albeit the PAIN - my knee! my knee!), but overall a real exhilarating experience though I was not thinking that at, let's just say, kilometre 33.

All I could think about was, "I'm hobbling like Terry Fox" and "this industrial park area is horribly boring". The end chute down University was really cool as the street sort of feels majestic with its openess. This feeling quickly ended as I rounded Queen's Park, which went on and on and on for what felt like an eternity, with no sight of the finish line until the last minutes.

At one point earlier in the race, I had ran with a certain gentleman. Towards 10km, I started feeling tired so I told him to go on without me and run his own race. Soon after the half-way point, I passed him. He didn't look too good. In fact, I passed him a second time a good hour after I finished as I walked with a friend back down University to check out the end of the race. He was walking painfully ... OH! Another marathon casualty!

To those who knew I was running this one, thanks for your support. To those who didn't ... surprise! (Didn't know I was that CRAZY, huh?) I just wanted to make sure that first marathon in Quebec wasn't just a fluke.

Have a most marvelous day, and dreams do come true!

Gun time: 4:11:43.5
Chip time: 4:10:57.3 - a new PR!!
Pace: 5:58 min/km

Overall: 1082/1826
Gender:
247/556
Age group (W 30-34): 58/119

First 21.1 km = 2:01:02
Last 21.1 km = 2:10:42

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home