Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A deep deep pool ... a deep deep fear ...

Sometimes I forget that I was ever afraid of water until I get *tested* ...

Recently, while out of town for work, I visited the local university pool for some training. Typical of university pools, the length was divided into two making it a pretty standard 25m. Difference though was the depth of the bottom and the "height" of the sides. This pool was all "deep end" and the edge was a good two feet above the surface of the water. This meant:

1) I had to jump into the pool to get in, something I've always hated doing and which still unnerves me. I remember having to jump in for the start of my Ironman Louisville swim and while waiting in line for the "time trial start", I dreaded this moment.

2) I'm not big on flip turns and will force myself to do some from time to time, but the thought of doing flip turns for my entire workout didn't make me comfortable. Pushing off the wall or the pool bottom was also very difficult. Stretching my shoulder up and my hand out to catch the high edge of the pool only strained and hurt my shoulder. So I dreaded finishing each lap as I floundered, trying to figure some way to push off or turn around without feeling like I was going to drown. And treading water while I took a break only made me more conscious of the fact that the pool was very very deep and that the sides were very very high and not easily reachable.

Not a very fun swim session and I was glad to finally get out of the pool and into the showers.

Let's just say that my life-long fear of water still resides/lurks within me ... sigh.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home